Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Comic Year (Without Annotation . . But Hey, I Got Pictures!)

In light of the Eisner turnouts, here's my own shortlist of highlights from 2007, which I never got around to last January for reasons I'd rather not get into. Glad to see Eisner agreed with some of 'em. There were not-bad, not-great exceptions - - - Walking Dead and Thunderbolts come to mind - - - but mostly my comics year was one of more zombies and superheroes, of abominable flatness, of myopic visionaries, of more zombies and superheroes, of denser and duller continuity,of letdowns and kissoffs and heartbreaks none of which stung but gave off a chickenshit pffft, of Mark Millar's self-aggrandizing hyperbole, of more zombies and superheroes . Then these eleven beauties happened. Only wish I could whip up a few words to say about the lot 'cause they deserve it. But I can't.

My favorite comics of 2007, then, incidentally the best comics of 2007 as well. Alphabetically.





20th CENTURY BOYS Naoki Urusawa

THE ARRIVAL
Shaun Tan

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD Mark Waid & George Perez

I SHALL DESTROY ALL CIVILIZED PLANETS! Fletcher Hanks

THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, David Aja

ONE MORE DAY J.Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada/ SENSATIONAL SPIDERMAN ANNUAL Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca - - - Not a typo, this.

THE PERRY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP: THE TRIAL OF COLONEL SWEETO AND OTHER STORIES
Nicholas Gurewitch

THE SPIRIT Darwyn Cooke and J. Bone

SUBURBAN GLAMOR Jamie McKelvie

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY: APOCALYPSE SUITE Gerard Way & Gabriel Ba

'Nuff said. Excelsior.

No comments: