Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Tao of Steve


To echo an obit worth echoing.

Steve Gerber made me uncomfortable.

I couldn't last more than a few pages inside his comics before I came cowering back to safety like a whipped junkyard dog to my comfy, banal superheroes. This was,of course, in my callow and foolish days as a kid geek when superheroes were the end-all and be-all of comics.

But Gail was right. Gerber was his time's cutting edge. Not so much bookish like Gaiman but druggish and fuckedupish like Morrison.

I'm much older now, a little wiser and superheroes do suck eggs most of the time and they get suckier each year. I do go back and reread my old Gerber comics - - - not much else good to read anyway. Howard the Duck. Some Man Thing. Some Omega the Unknown. And he still makes me uncomofrtable. But this time, uncomfortable is a good place.

RIP, Mr.Gerber.

No comments: